Church of St Bridget

St Brides, Pembrokeshire

Diocese: Tyddewi/St Davids

OS Grid Ref.: SM80271085
Lat/Lng: 51.7531305864,-5.18491256265

Medieval church whose dedication is attested from the mid-thirteenth century.

A ninth-century charter, found in a sixteenth-century manuscript, refers to the church as Abbas Llan Sanfrigt, which would be an exceptionally early attestation of the dedication of a church in Wales.

The present church was rebuilt in 1868 and retains medieval features. However, there is evidence of an earlier church site, slightly to the north-west and now located on the shore. According to Samuel Lewis, writing in the early nineteenth century, the chapel was used as a salting-house for curing fish, and stone coffins were known to have been washed away.

Saints linked to this site

More information

National Monuments Record
Church Heritage Cymru

Hywel Wyn Owen & Richard Morgan, Dictionary of the Place-Names of Wales (Llandysul: Gomer, 2007), 430

Samuel Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (London: S. Lewis and Co., 1834), Bride's (St)    View online

B.G. Charles, The Place-names of Pembrokeshire (Aberystwyth: National Library of Wales, 1992), 631

A.W. Wade-Evans, 'Parochiale Wallicanum' in Y Cymmrodor (1910), 34

Sources

S. Baring-Gould & John Fisher, The Lives of the British Saints (London: Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, 1907), 283    View online

Browne Willis, Parochiale Anglicanum (London: 1733), 179

John Ecton, Thesaurus Rerum Ecclesiasticarum (London: 1754), 457

Search for further information about Church of St Bridget on Google