Church of St David

Llanarth, Cardiganshire

Diocese: Tyddewi/St Davids

OS Grid Ref.: SN42305775
Lat/Lng: 52.1953689101,-4.30870334841

Church now dedicated to David, although eighteenth- and nineteenth-century sources give variant forms of Vylltyg, or Meilig. Vylltyg is given on the first edition six inch OS map (1889), which has been changed on the second edition to David. The possession of the church by David is asserted by Gwynfardd Brycheiniog in the twelfth century. The dedication to Vylltyg or Meilig is discussed by Baring-Gould and Fisher, who equate the saint with Maelog, and cite a late sixteenth-century reference to offerings made to 'Meilicke'.

Saints linked to this site

More information

National Monuments Record
Church Heritage Cymru
Stained Glass in Wales

S. Baring-Gould & John Fisher, The Lives of the British Saints (London: Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, 1911), 405    View online

Sources

Browne Willis, Parochiale Anglicanum (London: 1733), 194

John Ecton, Thesaurus Rerum Ecclesiasticarum (London: 1754), 478

A.W. Wade-Evans, 'Parochiale Wallicanum' in Y Cymmrodor (1910), 59

Search for further information about Church of St David on Google