Church of St Curig
Porthkerry, Glamorgan
Diocese: Llandaf/Llandaff
OS Grid Ref.: ST08246661
Lat/Lng: 51.3910842118,-3.32018163293
Medieval church dedicated to Curig.
Browne Willis gives the dedication of the church in the form Kirig in the eighteenth century, and Wade-Evans notes that the place-name was given as Porth Cirig in the sixteenth century. However, forms of the place-name from the thirteenth century suggest a form closer to the present Porthkerry (-ciri, -kyry, -kire).More information
National Monuments RecordChurch Heritage Cymru
Gwynedd O. Pierce, The Place-names of Dinas Powys Hundred (Cardiff: University of Wales Press, 1968), 198–200
Sources
Browne Willis, Parochiale Anglicanum (London: 1733), 199
John Ecton, Thesaurus Rerum Ecclesiasticarum (London: 1754), 506
Ordnance Survey 6 inch map (1891–1914)
A.W. Wade-Evans, 'Parochiale Wallicanum' in Y Cymmrodor (1910), 68
Search for further information about Church of St Curig on Google