Church of St Mary
Newport, Pembrokeshire
Diocese: Tyddewi/St Davids
OS Grid Ref.: SN05803896
Lat/Lng: 52.0149934207,-4.83137147009
Church that has been dedicated to Mary since at least the eighteenth century.
It has been suggested that the church was perhaps originally dedicated to Curig, due to the fair held in Newport known as ffair girig drefdraeth (the fair of Curig in Newport) on 27 June. The fair was probably linked to a separate chapel, now lost, dedicated to Curig and recorded in the parish by A.W. Wade-Evans. A St Mary's Street in the town is recorded from 1433.More information
National Monuments RecordChurch Heritage Cymru
Stained Glass in Wales
Sources
Browne Willis, Parochiale Anglicanum (London: 1733), 193
John Ecton, Thesaurus Rerum Ecclesiasticarum (London: 1754), 477
A.W. Wade-Evans, 'Parochiale Wallicanum' in Y Cymmrodor (1910), 58
Search for further information about Church of St Mary on Google