Church of St Peter
Llandevaud, Monmouthshire
Diocese: Mynwy/Monmouth (Former diocese: Llandaf/Llandaff)
OS Grid Ref.: ST39679094
Lat/Lng: 51.6140399296,-2.87270344158
Church built in 1843 and designed by Edward Haycock. It replaced a church that was recorded as in ruins by Browne Willis in 1733. The church was listed as dedicated to Peter, along with Llanbedr, now lost, located only a mile to the west, but it is not clear whether the dedication applies to both churches. Wade-Evans gives the dedication as Tavaud, and a papal bull of 1129 to bishop Urban mentions Villa Sancti Tavauc supporting the suggested eponym in the place-name. However, Baring-Gould and Fisher do not associate the reference with this church.
More information
National Monuments RecordChurch Heritage Cymru
Stained Glass in Wales
S. Baring-Gould & John Fisher, The Lives of the British Saints (London: Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, 1913), 214–5 View online
Joseph Bradney, A History of Monmouthshire: The Hundred of Caldicot (Part 2) (Cardiff: Merton Priory, 1994), 222
Sources
Browne Willis, Parochiale Anglicanum (London: 1733), 204
A.W. Wade-Evans, 'Parochiale Wallicanum' in Y Cymmrodor (1910), 78
Search for further information about Church of St Peter on Google