Church of St Mary and St Curig
Eglwysfair-a-churig, Carmarthenshire
Diocese: Tyddewi/St Davids
OS Grid Ref.: SN20212634
Lat/Lng: 51.9065066679,-4.61502117894
Former church jointly dedicated to Mary and Curig. The dedication is first attested in the mid-sixteenth century, and developed as a place-name, which appears on nineteenth century maps.
The church has also been described as dedicated to David, but the dedication to Mary and Curig seems more likely, and attested in the place-name. The link with David may be as a result of it being a chapel of Henllan Amgoed (Llanddewi o Henllan). The building sits in a circular churchyard but is now a ruin.More information
National Monuments RecordAn Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Wales and Monmouthshire. V County of Carmarthen (Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales, 1917), 42 View online
Sources
Browne Willis, Parochiale Anglicanum (London: 1733), 187
John Ecton, Thesaurus Rerum Ecclesiasticarum (London: 1754), 471
Ordnance Survey 6 inch map (1880s)
Thomas Lloyd, Julian Orbach & Robert Scourfield, The Buildings of Wales: Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion (London: Yale University Press, 2006), 315
A.W. Wade-Evans, 'Parochiale Wallicanum' in Y Cymmrodor (1910), 47
Search for further information about Church of St Mary and St Curig on Google