Chapel of St Ffraid
Towyn y Capel, Anglesey
Diocese: Bangor/Bangor
OS Grid Ref.: SH25627900
Lat/Lng: 53.279219077812,-4.6169511722003
Former chapel and burial site now lost to sea erosion.
Remains of the cemetery were excavated by Gwynedd Archaeological Trust in 2003–4. The connection of the site with Ffraid only dates back to a reference by Leland in the sixteenth century, and according to later legend she landed at this spot and founded a church. The chapel was extant into the eighteenth century, but was not listed by Browne Willis.More information
National Monuments RecordS. Baring-Gould & John Fisher, The Lives of the British Saints (London: Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, 1907), 286–7 View online
A.W. Wade-Evans, 'Parochiale Wallicanum' in Y Cymmrodor (1910), 88
Sources
John Leland, The Itinerary in Wales of John Leland (London: George Bell & Sons, 1906), 131 View online
Search for further information about Chapel of St Ffraid on Google