Llandaff Cathedral
Llandaff, Cardiff, Glamorgan
Diocese: Llandaf/Llandaff
OS Grid Ref.: ST15567813
Lat/Lng: 51.4957815118,-3.21775582641
Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul with St Dyfrig, St Teilo and St Euddogwy. Founded in 1107, and raised to cathedral status as the centre of the new diocese in the mid-twelfth century.
The identification of the cathedral and diocese with the three native saints can be dated back to Bishop Urban's claims for the diocese expressed in the building of the cathedral in the 1120s and the contemporary Llandaff Charters. According to the Book of Llandaff, the relics of Dyfrig were brought to the church in 1120, as well as the teeth of Elgar, and the episcopal church was built over the shrines, in honour of the apostle Peter and the 'holy confessors' Dyfrig, Teilo and Euddogwy. Relics of Teilo were also brought to the cathedral, and the Book of Llandaff describes the miraculous multiplication of the body of Teilo, explaining his presence at Llandeilo, Penally and Llandaff. Wade-Evans lists only Teilo as the patron of the cathedral, while Browne Willis only gives Peter, while Ecton lists both. The date when the apostle Paul was also associated with the cathedral as patron is unclear. The Book of Llandaff states that the relics of Dyfrig were enshrined in front of the altar of Mary, implying that she was also venerated here in the twelfth century.More information
National Monuments RecordChurch Heritage Cymru
Stained Glass in Wales
John Reuben Davies, The Book of Llandaf and the Norman Church in Wales (Woodbridge: 2003)
J.R. Davies, 'Cathedrals and the Cult of Saints in Eleventh-and twelfth-Century Wales' in Communities and Conflict in the Anglo-Norman World (Woodbridge: Boydell & Brewer, 2011), 106–8 View online
Sources
Browne Willis, Parochiale Anglicanum (London: 1733), 198
John Ecton, Thesaurus Rerum Ecclesiasticarum (London: 1754), 504, 507
A.W. Wade-Evans, 'Parochiale Wallicanum' in Y Cymmrodor (1910), 66
Search for further information about Llandaff Cathedral on Google