Church of St Mary
Ruabon, Denbighshire
Diocese: Llanelwy/St Asaph
OS Grid Ref.: SJ30284381
Lat/Lng: 52.9870707295,-3.04000874845
The church was dedicated to Mary according to eighteenth-century sources, although evidence suggests that the church was previously dedicated to Collen.
A church at Ruabon dedicated to Collen was listed in the Norwich Taxation of 1254 as Ecca Sci Colyem'.It is not clear whether this was the present St Mary's, the dedication to Mary replacing that of Collen, or a reference to a lost chapel to the south-west of Ruabon, located at Dinhunlle Isaf.
The CPAT Churches Survey states that a church dedicated to Mary was built by the monks of Valle Crucis Abbey between 1272 and 1304, who also had possession of the church at Llangollen. The same survey also notes the tradition that the church at Ruabon was originally established by another saint, Mabon.
More information
National Monuments RecordChurch Heritage Cymru
Stained Glass in Wales
D.R. Thomas, The History of the Diocese of Saint Asaph (Oswestry: Caxton Press, 1913), 275, 277
Sources
Browne Willis, Parochiale Anglicanum (London: 1733), 223
John Ecton, Thesaurus Rerum Ecclesiasticarum (London: 1754), 491
The Valuation of Norwich (Oxford: Clarendon, 1926), 471
A.W. Wade-Evans, 'Parochiale Wallicanum' in Y Cymmrodor (1910), 106
Taxatio (2014), AS.AS.ML.05 View online
Search for further information about Church of St Mary on Google