Church of St Deiniol and St Marcella
Marchwiel, Denbighshire
Diocese: Llanelwy/St Asaph
OS Grid Ref.: SJ35724772
Lat/Lng: 53.022894707515,-2.9597659783128
Georgian church on a medieval site, now jointly dedicated to Deiniol and Marcella.
Browne Willis gives the dedication as either Marcello (1733) or Marcellus (1754), although an earlier dedication to Deiniol appears likely. The church was originally a chapel of Bangor Is-coed, before Marchwiel became a parish in its own right. A board at the church, of uncertain date, states that the church was dedicated to Marcella in 1537. D.R. Thomas notes the name of an adjoining tenement as Tyddyn Daniel, which was purchased in 1626, and recorded in the church terrier in 1749. Rice Rees gives Deiniol as the original dedication.The association with Marcella seems to be derived from the place-name, which can be traced back to the thirteenth century.
More information
National Monuments RecordChurch Heritage Cymru
S. Baring-Gould & John Fisher, The Lives of the British Saints (London: Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, 1908), 329 View online
D.R. Thomas, The History of the Diocese of Saint Asaph (Oswestry: Caxton Press, 1908), 454
Sources
Browne Willis, Parochiale Anglicanum (London: 1733), 223
John Ecton, Thesaurus Rerum Ecclesiasticarum (London: 1754), 491
Ordnance Survey 6 inch map (1880s)
A.W. Wade-Evans, 'Parochiale Wallicanum' in Y Cymmrodor (1910), 113
Search for further information about Church of St Deiniol and St Marcella on Google