Church of St Mwrog and St Mary
Llanfwrog, Denbighshire
Diocese: Llanelwy/St Asaph (Former diocese: Bangor/Bangor)
OS Grid Ref.: SJ11365783
Lat/Lng: 53.1102647626,-3.32563236541
The dedication of the church to Mwrog is attested in the form of the place-name Lanmutauc in 1254, and Mwrog is given as the patron by Browne Willis in the eighteenth century. A field neighbouring the church was attested as Bryn Mwrog in 1672. The church was dedicated jointly to Mary by the nineteenth century, and a joint dedication has persisted into the present.
More information
National Monuments RecordChurch Heritage Cymru
S. Baring-Gould & John Fisher, The Lives of the British Saints (London: Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, 1911), 505–6 View online
Hywel Wyn Owen & Richard Morgan, Dictionary of the Place-Names of Wales (Llandysul: Gomer, 2007), 253
Sources
Browne Willis, Parochiale Anglicanum (London: 1733), 217
Browne Willis, Parochiale Anglicanum (London: 1733), 500
A.W. Wade-Evans, 'Parochiale Wallicanum' in Y Cymmrodor (1910), 98
Search for further information about Church of St Mwrog and St Mary on Google