Church of St Curig and St Julita

Capel Curig, Caernarfonshire

Diocese: Bangor/Bangor

Exterior of the Church of St Curig and St Julitta, Capel Curig
Photo © Martin Crampin

OS Grid Ref.: SH71855798
Lat/Lng: 53.10357820345,-3.9156206709752

Former church, with fabric that may date back to the thirteenth or fourteenth century.

The dedication of the church gave rise to the place-name Capel Curig, which is first attested in the 1530s.

According to some sources the church was a chapel of Llanllechid, and to others a chapel of Llandygai. The dedication of the church is not attested prior to the first mention of the place-name.

Saints linked to this site

More information

National Monuments Record
Church Heritage Cymru

Hywel Wyn Owen & Richard Morgan, Dictionary of the Place-Names of Wales (Llandysul: Gomer, 2007), 67

Sources

Browne Willis, Parochiale Anglicanum (London: 1733), 210

John Ecton, Thesaurus Rerum Ecclesiasticarum (London: 1754), 496

A.W. Wade-Evans, 'Parochiale Wallicanum' in Y Cymmrodor (1910), 85

Search for further information about Church of St Curig and St Julita on Google