Church of St Cawrdaf

Llangoed, Anglesey

Diocese: Bangor/Bangor

OS Grid Ref.: SH61188057
Lat/Lng: 53.3038317,-4.08471680572

Church dedicated to Cawrdaf, although it has also been suggested that it was originally a joint dedication with Tangwm, Cawrdaf's brother.

Both Browne Willis and A.W. Wade-Evans agree on the dedication of the church, which is supported by place-name evidence. The place-name Llangoed is attested in the thirteenth century and alludes to the extensive medieval wood near Beaumaris, although the place-name ll. goed neu gowrda is attested in 1590, and Llan Gowrda als Llangoed is attested around the same time or early in the seventeenth century.

Rice Rees' assertion of a joint dedication with Tangwn, repeated by Wade-Evans, appears to be fanciful.

Saints linked to this site

More information

National Monuments Record
Church Heritage Cymru
Stained Glass in Wales

Sources

S. Baring-Gould & John Fisher, The Lives of the British Saints (London: Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, 1908), 95    View online

Browne Willis, Parochiale Anglicanum (London: 1733), 216

John Ecton, Thesaurus Rerum Ecclesiasticarum (London: 1754), 503

Hywel Wyn Owen & Richard Morgan, Dictionary of the Place-Names of Wales (Llandysul: Gomer, 2007), 259

A.W. Wade-Evans, 'Parochiale Wallicanum' in Y Cymmrodor (1910), 94

Search for further information about Church of St Cawrdaf on Google